Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Earthquake in NZ

This particular story stood out to me because I am interested in earthquakes but also because I have traveled to New Zealand.  I was actually in Christchurch for a couple of days, and I have a friend that lives in New Zealand.  I was astonished to find that New Zealand has about 14,000 earthquakes a year, but less than 10 of them cause damage.  I was very surprised and happy to figure out that only two people have been injuried.  Especially since Christchurch is one of the bigger cities in the South island of NZ.  I think they did a good job in alerting the NZ residents because a magnitude 7 earthquake could have taken many more lives.  I am not sure how NZ will bounce back from this because they do have 10 earthquakes annually that cause damage but I am not sure how they will deal with this massive distruction.

No comments:

Post a Comment